Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Defining Your New Normal


When we go through a change in our lives, we start wishing it would get “back to normal”. We think about it, talk about it - lay awake dreaming about it at night. If only we could go back in time, all the chaos around us would fade. So we try to be that person again or go back to when we used to be happy. But nothing works. And in the meantime, frustration sets in. After doing this a few thousand times, I decided it was time to be still. In that moment, it dawned on me. The reason that we cannot go back is because we were meant to go forward. I’m not meant to be 20 again. I’m not who I was before I got married or before we started our family. I can draw from the lessons I learned. I can build on certain parts of my past; but I now have a new opportunity. I have a chance to become even better. Yes, I now have a few added scars and my exterior is a little more weathered, but I’ve also grown wiser and stronger. I’m more aware of who I am as a person. Of course with that came with a whole load of baggage – years of questioning if I could make my own choices - years thinking that happiness was just an illusion. It’s normal (there’s that word) … it happens. But one thing that it is not is true. The truth is that you CAN create your experience. You have the ability to take charge of your life. Whether you call it starting over again, or simply readjusting your angle, you have the power to choose a new path. As you read through my blog, I encourage you to take time to reflect - to pretend that, even if just for one moment, anything and everything is possible. After all, how you see things is all up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment